Northminster Presbyterian Church was established in 1906 in the merging of two Presbyterian congregations. From that date through today, Northminster continues to grow, flourish, and build community in D.C. inspired by Christ’s love.
A Brief History of Northminster
July 23rd, 1906: The union of Assembly Presbyterian Church and North Presbyterian Church is approved by the presbytery.
October 4th, 1906: “Northminster” is selected as the name of the new church at a joint meeting of the two congregations.
1908: The new Northminster Church building is erected at Rhode Island Ave and 11th St. NW.
1926: The present site at Alaska Ave and Kalmia Road NW is purchased and a small mission church known as “the Chapel” is built.
January 6th, 1935: The church at Rhode Island Ave and 11th St. is destroyed by a fire.
March 28th, 1935: The congregation decides to continue the activities of Northminster in the Chapel rather than rebuild the downtown church.
November 5th, 1938: The cornerstone is laid for a new building at Alaska Ave and Kalmia Road – the building which continues to house Northminster Church today.
March 28th, 1948: The membership of Northminster increased from 167 in 1937 to 460 in April 1947, with an additional 424 youth in the church school. To relieve the crowding at the 11 o’clock service, and earlier service is begun at 9:30 a.m.
April 25th, 1954: Groundbreaking ceremonies are held for the enlarged sanctuary and a new educational building.
September 18th, 1955: The first worship services are held in the newly enlarged sanctuary.
October 14th, 1956: Northminster celebrates its 50th anniversary!
1962: The first African American members join the church.
November 11th, 1973: Reverend Archie S. Oliver, the first African American pastor of the church, is installed as Assistant Pastor.
November 20th, 1988: Reverend Leonard V. Lassiter, Jr. is installed as the first African American senior pastor.
October 15th, 2006: Northminster celebrates its 100th anniversary!